Sunday, January 20, 2013

Costuming Challenge

I needed to come up with an outfit for juggling, face painting and balloons today. There wasn’t time to sew anything nor money to buy anything new. So everything had to be stuff I already owned. Half the elements I wanted to use where in the red family. The other half were in the blue family. I couldn’t figure out a way to marry them together. Then a few hours before the party I figured it out. I would make yarn hair ornaments using all the colors in my outfit. Then even if I take off my black and red hat, the rest of the costume would still look like it belonged together. I’ve done similar things with belly dancing costumes. Also I decided to wear blue striped socks with my maroon leg warmers since the skirt is maroon and the vest is blue. I’m not wearing a wig today and I wanted to fancy up my hair some so the colorful yarn braided into it should do just the trick. It will also keep my hair from tangling in the wind since the party is outside and inside and the wind tends to kick up in the afternoon. To make the hair streamers, you cut long lengths of yarn and then tie them to a hair elastic using a lark’s head knot (like in macramĂ©). I doubled each strand. I will braid the top part into my hair and let the bottom part stream down giving a merry effect. It makes my hair look longer than it really is. I’ll try to take some photos before I leave today. I also bought shoelaces to match my outfit on the way to the party. I think they were just the right touch. It made my day when I arrived at the party and the person who hired me said, "You look great!"

No comments:

Post a Comment